Bob Gibson reflects:
"He went in the (Cooperstown) Hall Of Fame as a manager, but his career numbers were good enough to get in as a hitter, epecially considering he played more as a catcher than any other position. He was an All-Star six times there, and he was good enough at first and third base too."
"In his first game with us (Cardinals), against the Pirates, Willie Stargell hit a shot to Joe playing first base that he didn't handle very well. I walked over to him and he probably thought I was coming over to yell at him, Instead I asked if he was crazy. I told him, "When somebody hits a ball that hard, you're supposed to move out the way." He started laughing and I guess it loosened him up."
With the Cardinals: 1969-74 (Career summary)
G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BA OBP SLG OPS TB SB BB SO 6 Seasons 918 3452 455 1062 161 32 98 558 .308 .382 .458 .840 1581 12 387 476
With the Cardinals: 1990-95 (Manager, 351-354 record)
Year Finish Wins Losses Attendance Manager 1990 6 70 92 2,573,225 Whitey Herzog, Red Schoendienst, Joe Torre 1991 2 84 78 2,448,699 Joe Torre 1992 3 83 79 2,418,483 Joe Torre 1993 3 87 75 2,844,328 Joe Torre 1994 3 53 61 1,866,544 Joe Torre 1995 4 62 81 1,756,127 Joe Torre, Mike Jorgensen
Click to read full article! Click to read full article!
- Inducted into the St. Louis Cardinals HOF - 2016
- Inducted into the MLB HOF as a manager in 2014.
- Named National League MVP in 1971 with the Cardinals leading the majors with a .363 batting average, 230 hits, 352 total bases and 137 RBIs.
- Became the fourth Cardinal to total at least 230 hits in a season and only one of 14 players in NL history to reach that mark.
- Finished runner-up for the NL batting title (.325) in 1970.
- Four straight All-Star appearances with the Cardinals (1970-73) (9 total appearances)
- Hit for the cycle on 6/23/1973 at Pittsburgh, collecting the single with two outs in the ninth.
- Led the Cardinals to a 84-78 second place finish in the NL East in 1991. His best with the Cardinals.
- GameDay Magazine #4 2016
(This site is in no way affiliated or sponsored by the St. Louis Cardinals or Major League Baseball and is intended to be used for non-commercial, personal enjoyment. Although I attempt to be as correct/accurate as possible when giving information in these documents, I make no guarantees as to their accuracy. Questions/comments may be sent to the address below. Mark Mobley (1999-2018) all rights reserved. All photos and/or images may be copyrighted by their original owners/sources.)
Do you have St. Louis Cardinal collectibles or memorabilia sitting around collecting dust? Why not send me an e-mail describing what you have? I might make you an offer!
I collect anything having to do with the Cardinals. My e-mail is listed below! Thanks!
Cardinal (or Baseball) Trips:
Great Ballpark Adventures!
Cardinal Caravans: 1990 1998 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012
(No pics: 1991 1992 1993 1994)
Winter Warm-ups: 2007 2010
Lou | Bob | Mark | Willie | Ozzie
1982 | 1985 | 1987 | 1996 | 2000 | 2001 | 2002 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2009 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014 | 2015
Home | Dolores' Family Tree | Gleanings from the Kinmundy Express | Mark's Family Tree | Other Useful Links | Other Genealogy Sites | Cardinal Tribute Site
Updated: 02/03/18 Comments? Cardsfan@ford-mobley.com